German players celebrate their 1-0 World Cup victory in extra time during the final soccer match between Germany and Argentina at the Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Sunday, July 13, 2014.
Goooal! Germany takes 1-0 lead in 113th minute
15 minutes to penalties?
Cue the dramatic music: We're headed for extra time
Destined for extra time?
20 minutes to go in an enthralling match
This game is everything a final should be.— Howler Magazine (@whatahowler) July 13, 2014
This game has been, at various times, open and closed, smooth and chippy. All it needs is a goal.— Sam Borden (@SamBorden) July 13, 2014
Neuer gets off easy?
Aguero comes on for Argentina to start second half
No goals, but one hell of a half
A miss that could come back to haunt Argentina
Argentina sitting back so far, but look at Messi run
4 big questions
- Can Germany stop Messi from being his most spectacular self, and limit to just being, you know, really really really good?
- Can Argentina keep its defensive shape early and avoid an early goal by Germany's balanced attack?
- Can Argentina find another playmaker to help Messi create opportunities? Higuain and Aguero are excellent finishers, and Mascherano is a fantastic midfielder, but none of those players are especially dangerous in creating opportunities from nothing.
- Argentina enters this match on one less day of rest than Germany, and following 30 minutes of extra time and penalty kicks in its semifinal against the Netherlands on Wednesday. Will that extra work and relative lack of rest be a factor?
Your World Cup final starting lineups
Pre-game reading: Odds and ends
- More than a billion people from around the world are expected to watch on TV, according to the BBC. So, you know, no pressure.
- The World Cup runs on thousands of volunteers. But as the tournament winds down, many of them feel like they've been shafted by FIFA and World Cup organizers.
- Remember Fred, the Brazilian striker fans love to hate? He just announced his retirement from the national team after a disastrous World Cup campaign.
- Google has a predictably cute Google Doodle celebrating the World Cup as a whole.
Tags: ENTERTAINMENT, SOCCER, SPORTS, World Cup