20. Ygritte's death
19. The Mountain's Crew Uses Rats for Torture.
18. The Battle of the Blackwater
17. Sam Tarly Kills a White Walker.
16. Littlefinger Pushes Lysa Through the Moon Door
15. Theon Burns the Boys
13. Daenerys Eats a Heart
12. Joffrey in the Bedroom With a Crossbow
11. Jamie Lannister Loses a Hand
10. Melisandre's Smoke Baby
9. Viserys Gets His Crown
8. Daenerys Survives the Fire
7. Ramsay Cuts Theon Where it Hurts
6. Bran Is Pushed off the Tower
5. The Mountain vs. The Viper
4. The Purple Wedding
3. Tyrion Kills Tywin
2. The Red Wedding
1. The Execution of Ned Stark by the Coward Joffrey Baratheon
This post contains spoilers for the entire series of Game of Thrones, including the season four finale. Don't read if you aren't caught up. Seriously. We warned you.
Now that the fourth season of Game of Thrones has wound to a brutal, action-packed close, it's worth taking a look back at the crazy, off-the-wall, disgustingly bloody crap that got us to the finale.
From the death of Eddard Stark, who was arguably the main protagonist of Season 1, to the torture of Theon Greyjoy by the newly minted Ramsay Bolton, the series is chock-full of oh-my-god-why-is-this-even-happening moments. And we've ranked the top 20.
Ordered by both importance to the overall story arc and sheer gross-out factor, these scenes will bring back some pretty terrible memories. Sorry about that. But, hey, at least Joffrey is still dead.