A rendered photo of Six Flags' new roller coaster, Goliath.
After much anticipation from thrill seekers and coaster enthusiasts, Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, Illinois has finally unveiled its newest roller coaster: Goliath.
The wooden coaster officially opened its terrifying tracks to the public Thursday morning, breaking three world records in the process. Goliath is now the tallest, fastest and steepest wooden roller coaster in the world.
Daring riders will reach speeds of 72 mph, after plunging from a height of 180 feet down a nearly vertical 85 degree drop. The coaster also features three over-banked turns, a 180-degree zero-G roll twist, two wild inversions and a spiraling inverted zero-G stall.
Although wooden coasters typically have a rougher ride compared to steel coasters, ABC7 Chicago Reporter Jessica D’Onofrio said that Goliath was the "smoothest ride of any coaster I have been on.”
BONUS: Top 10 Water Parks for a Wet Hot American Summer
1. SchlitterbahnIMAGE: SCHLITTERBAHN WATERPARKS AND RESORTS
2. AquaticaIMAGE: FLICKR, JEREMY THOMPSON
3. Great Wolf LodgeIMAGE: FLICKR, VOX EFX
5. Water Country USAIMAGE: WATER COUNTRY USA®
6. Disney's Typhoon LagoonIMAGE: FLICKR, RICKPILOT_2000
7. Noahs Ark Water ParkIMAGE: FLICKR, JEREMY THOMPSON
8. Raging WatersIMAGE: FLICKR, DON DEBOLD
9. Six Flags White WaterIMAGE: SIX FLAGS WHITE WATER
10. Blizzard BeachIMAGE: FLICKR, ALAIN