100 Photos of Remarkable Moms in New York



Moms_100_mothersday-24

Exhilarating, terrifying, exhausting and fulfilling — motherhood is one of the most universal and unique experiences of a woman's life.

On May 9, 1914, President Woodrow Wilson issued a proclamation declaring the second Sunday in May a national holiday to celebrate the work of all mothers. A century later, in recognition of the anniversary, we searched every corner of New York City for moms and their fascinating stories.

Take a look at the collection below: the ups and downs of motherhood, revealed through each woman's philosophies, memories and advice.

To moms everywhere, thank you!

  • Neveen

    Moms_100_mothersday-14

    Age: 35

    Job: User Experience Designer

    Number and ages of children: One child, nearly a year old

    How do you measure your success as a mom?

    "If she’s breathing, surviving, you say, 'You know, it’s been a good day, to be honest.'"

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Rebecca

    Moms_100_mothersday-16

    Age: 35

    Job: Former attorney, stay-at-home mom

    Number and ages of children: 1 child, 13 months

    How do you measure your success as a mom?

    "As long as he seems happy and healthy and well adjusted, that’s the most important thing, I think."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Jola

    Jola

    Age: 37

    Job: Psychologist

    Number and ages of children: Two children, ages 7 and 3

    From: Poland

    How do you measure your success as a mom?

    "Probably to be a mom and to do my job, because sometimes it's very difficult to find time for myself. Now, for me, is a treat, because usually I live in Poland, and I try to have the time to develop myself."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Marianne

    Moms_100_mothersday-68

    Number of children: Two children

    "I told them they were wonderful until they were 30. They told me I was wonderful until I was 50."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, BIANCA CONSUNJI

  • Valerie

    Moms_100_mothersday-50

    Job: Ran a restaurant

    Age: 33

    Number and ages of children: One child (16 months)

    What has been your greatest moment as a mother?

    "Probably the moment she started walking. It's incredible to see the transition. The feeling of success she has on her face and how much pride she's experiencing at that moment — it's amazing to see that change happen."

    What's something no one told you about being a mother?

    "It's so corny, but how joyful it would be. Even when they do bad things -- moments later, they give you a kiss and it's all good."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Myriam

    Moms_100_mothersday-57

    Age: 55

    What's the hardest part of motherhood?

    "Teenagers. It's complicated."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, BIANCA CONSUNJI

  • Margaux

    Moms_100_mothersday-26

    Age: 30

    Job: Part-time French teacher

    Number and ages of children: One child, 17 months old, and pregnant with another

    What is the scariest thing about being a mother?

    "Losing her in a playground. When you can’t see her, even if it’s for a few seconds, everything stops."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Nin

    Nin

    From: New York

    Number of children: Two

    What's the most rewarding part of being a mom?

    "Watching my children explore, watching their faces while they discover new things, that's the best. Just spending time with them is great."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Jennifer

    Jennifer

    From: New York

    Job: Sales

    What is the greatest thing about being a mother?

    "It's a different experience every day. Her dad said, 'Oh shit' this morning, and she's been saying that all day. So that's a part of it, right? Every day you get to be a role model."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Nemia

    Moms_100_mothersday-64

    Age: 47

    Job: Nanny

    What is it like being a nanny? Do you miss your own children?

    "As a nanny, I only work Monday through Friday, because I need time for my kids."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, BIANCA CONSUNJI

  • Barbara

    Moms_100_mothersday-49

    Job: CPA

    Age: 68

    Number and ages of children: Four children (37, 40, 43, 45), three grandchildren

    What has been your scariest moment as a mother?

    "We have three boys so there were so many scary moments. When they all decided to jump out of the second-story window one afternoon."

    How do you measure your success as a mother?

    "They all grew up. They're all loving, successful, happy I think."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Diane

    Moms_100_mothersday-85

    Job: Retired

    Age: 69

    Number of children: Two children (35, 40)

    What's the best or worst gift your children have given you?

    "I think love. Love is the best gift. The worst gift is probably impatience."

    What's the scariest thing that's happened to you as a mother?

    "Actually coming home with a baby. It took a while to get used to having this little tiny thing that screamed and squirmed and pooed everywhere."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Christine

    Christine

    Age: 38

    Job: Stay-at-home mom and homeschooler

    Number of children: Two children, (13, 9)

    What's something no one told you about being a mother?

    "How different boys are. I was raised with three girls, so boys are totally different from girls ... I mean, motherhood is not an easy job and it's not for everybody, but I love it."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Nicky

    Nicky

    Age: 40

    Job: Supervisor

    Number and ages of children: One child, age 8. Also caring for another 8-year-old.

    What's one of the scariest parts of being a mother?

    "That I'll fail them, you understand? That's the scariest thing. That I won't be able to provide for them. You know, when I was on my own ... I was always used to just being by myself, and just hanging out. But once I had a kid, it scared me. It's like, it's time to grow up now. Things are serious now."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Cherice

    Moms_100_mothersday-22

    Age: "Let's just say 30+."

    Job: Choreographer

    Number and ages of children: Two children (19 months and 6 weeks)

    What has been your greatest moment as a mom?

    "My heart has expanded times three."

    And how do you measure your success as a mother?

    "By how much love emanates from my children."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Stephanie

    Moms_100_mothersday-53

    Number and age of children: One child, 14 years old

    How do you feel about motherhood?

    "So much joy."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, BIANCA CONSUNJI

  • Alice

    Moms_100_mothersday-60

    Age: 84

    Number of children: 2 children, 5 grandchildren

    What's the best part about being a grandmother?

    "You can enjoy them, but don't have all of the responsibility."

    What was the best part about raising kids in NYC?"

    "Going to the park. My children grew up in Central Park."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, BIANCA CONSUNJI

  • Maria

    Moms_100_mothersday-67

    Number of children: One child, 2 grandchildren

    What's the best part about being a mom?

    "When the kids grow up, it's like you have a best friend."

    "I became a teacher so I could take care of them all the time."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, BIANCA CONSUNJI

  • Ronit

    Ronit

    Age: 38

    Job: Mom

    Number and ages of children: One child, 9 months

    What's one of the scariest things about motherhood?

    "There's someone relying on you forever. It's forever. You can't step away."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Estela

    Estela

    Age: 42

    Job: Stay-at-home mom

    Number and ages of children: Two children, ages 13 and 5

    What is the greatest thing about being a mother?

    "The most beautiful experience is to be a mom, to have children."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Colleen

    Moms_100_mothersday-28

    Age: 69

    Job: Retired professor of early childhood education

    Number and ages of children: Two sons, ages 44 and 39

    What would you say is your greatest accomplishment as a mother?

    "I think probably that they got good educations-- educations good enough that they are both doing things they want to do and that they’re happy in their chosen work ... I think education and promoting that at home was probably our most important thing."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Anneliese

    Moms_100_mothersday-58

    Age: 49

    From: England

    Number of children: 2

    What is the greatest thing about being a mother?

    "Being a grandmother is quite a relief."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, BIANCA CONSUNJI

  • Inara

    Moms_100_mothersday-66

    Age: 52

    Number and age of children: Two children, 13 and 23

    What's the best part about being a mom?

    "When they're small and cute:"

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, BIANCA CONSUNJI

  • Nathalia

    Moms_100_mothersday-23

    Age: 36

    Job: Chef and caterer

    Number and age of children: One child, 4 years old

    How do you measure your success as a mom?

    "I think I’m a pretty darn awesome mom, and I say that only because I waited to have her. I don’t think I would have been as efficient as I am if I had had her in my twenties, because I was not interested. It was all about partying and getting drunk, and I had her at 32 when I was ready to be in bed by nine o’ clock, and my moments of my days off was happily spent in pajamas or sweatpants watching Disney movies with her.

    So, I’m pretty proud of that and happy that she is a well-centered, grounded little girl even at four. I sometimes feel like she’s been here before, somehow. She’s an old soul, somehow."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Mary

    Moms_100_mothersday-17

    Job: Retired nurse

    Number and ages of children: Three children, all in their early 30s

    What's one of the scariest things about being a mother?

    "When you can’t find your kids, like in a department store. Once one of mine got lost in an airport and that was the scariest moment of my life."

    How long did it take you to find him?

    "It seemed like hours, but it was only about 10 minutes."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Kristina

    Moms_100_mothersday-18

    Age: 36

    Job: Marketing

    Number and ages of children:: One child, 9 months old

    From: Bulgaria

    What's the scariest part of being a mother?

    "It was just right at the start, when you are very exhausted. The physical part was very difficult. To resist the crying … you’re buried under a lot of stress in the beginning. This is the hardest part. The beginning you need much more time for very easy things. After nine months I’m doing everything with ease."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Lata

    Lata

    Age: 60

    Job: Medical office manager

    How has your relationship with your daughter changed since she became a mom?

    "With my daughter, it's more like a friendship now. As a grandmother, you get to do all the things you couldn't do as a mom. It's a great feeling."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Mara

    Moms_100_mothersday-25

    Age: 43

    Job: Mother, volunteer, part-time art teacher

    Number and ages of children: One child, age 7

    How do you measure your success as a mom?

    "Her happiness and well-being in the world. She doesn’t get upset over silly little things, you know? ... Her contentedness with her and her own skin in this place called the world and life."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Betsy

    Moms_100_mothersday-19

    Age: 36

    Job: Executive recruiter

    Number and ages of children: One child, 4.5 months

    What's the grossest you've seen as a mom?

    "Oh, the explosives. The diapers, the spit-ups. It’s like The Exorcism when it comes out; it’s all over you and, I mean, the first time it scared me and the next time I laughed."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Amy

    Amy

    Age: 39

    Job: Photo editor

    Number and ages of children: Two children, ages 4 and 1

    What's the scariest part of being a mother?

    "Not being able to control the outside world as it relates to them."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Jackie

    Moms_100_mothersday-20

    Age: 31

    Job: Account manager

    Number and ages of children: One child, 3 months old

    What has been the scariest part of being a mom?

    "When I was pregnant, there was a scare on one of his ultrasounds and I had to do extra testing, but it all turned out to be fine. That was extremely scary. They thought something was wrong with his brain, so that was awful. Luckily, nothing came of it."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Mushka

    Mushka

    From: New York

    Number of children: Three

    What's the most rewarding part about being a mom?

    "Watching them grow up and blossom -- that's the most rewarding thing. I have three children, and it never gets old. It's the best feeling in the world. They're a part of you."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Kathy

    Moms_100_mothersday-44

    Job: Montessori teacher

    From: Rhode Island

    What's the scariest thing that's happened to you as a mother?

    "I was on a ski boat with my family. My daughter was, I guess about five. My husband was water skiing, and my daughter got caught up on the tow rope and fell overboard. She was able to hold onto the rope and keep herself away from the propellor until I could turn the boat off. That was the most terrifying experience of my life. It was one of those things where the fear doesn't really hit you until the moment is over."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Narline

    Narline

    Age: 40

    Job: Nurse

    Number and ages of children: One child, age 2

    What's one of your favorite things about motherhood?

    "Seeing my child happy, laughing, learning. All of those moments mashed together."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Susan

    Moms_100_mothersday-41

    Job: Professor, Chinese politics

    From: California

    What's the most gratifying thing about being a mother?

    "I believe travelers are made, not born, so you have to start them early. Go to castles, go to mazes, do what you can. That's what I tried to do as a mother. Becoming a grandmother was the most gratifying thing. And it's different. You don't get stressed out when the baby cries. You've experienced things before. It's just pure pleasure."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Ramona

    Ramona

    What has been the most rewarding part of being a mom?

    "I'm so proud of her for what she's accomplished on her own. Parents take too much credit for their children's accomplishments and too much blame when they do something wrong."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Minnie

    Minnie

    From: China

    Number of children: One

    What part of being a mother makes you the happiest?

    "I love his smile."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Gloria

    Moms_100_mothersday-86

    Job: Retired

    Age: 66

    Number of children: Two children (38, 40)

    What's something no one told you about being a mother?

    "To be a mother, you're guiding them up to a certain age, and that's a tremendous responsibility. I think to have children is a privilege and I just enjoyed it."

    What's the scariest thing that's happened to you as a mother?

    "I suppose my greatest shock was actually having the baby -- my first baby. No one ever told me it hurt. And I say to everybody now, it hurts. I grew up in a world where it wasn't spoken about, really. I obviously knew there was pain, but not that much. It's the best thing in the world afterwards. It's the best, best thing when that baby pops out."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Lauren

    Moms_100_mothersday-30

    Age: 40

    Job: Personal chef

    Number and ages of children: One child, 19 months old

    How do you measure your success as a mom?

    "I’m pretty proud of myself as a mom. It started out, I think, as a challenge. I wasn’t, like, a motherly type, you know? So, I think the fact that I love it so much is something to be really proud of. And I feel like I’m doing a really good job."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Marissa

    Moms_100_mothersday-42

    Job: Account services

    From: New York

    What's your favorite memory with your mother?

    "I was raised in the suburbs of Connecticut, so things are obviously going to be different for my children in the city. I remember on Mother's Day, I always used to borrow her money for these school plant sales. So I'd buy all these plants for her with her own money and give them to her."

    How has your life changed, now that you're a mom?

    "I knew I was one of those new frazzled moms the other day: I went into a Dunkin Donuts and the cashier told me my teeth were covered in lipstick. I was like, 'Oh.'"

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Lydia

    Moms_100_mothersday-89

    Job: Co-owns TV production company Zero Point Zero with her husband

    Age: 48

    Number of children: Two children (6, 9)

    What's the best or worst gift your kids have given you?

    "The best gift is probably forced self-reflection. On a daily basis they make me think about how one behaves in the world."

    How do you measure your success as a mother?

    "I'm constantly feeling like I'm failing on a daily basis. I think any day where I feel like I've created some semblance of balance between all the various pats of my life feels successful. When they see me calm and happy that is the greatest measure of success for me."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Chris and her partner Jane

    Chris_and_jane

    Age: 65

    Job: Lawyer

    Number and ages of children: One child, age 44

    What's one of the scariest things about being a mom?

    "Puberty. Just puberty."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Sylvia

    Moms_100_mothersday-43

    Job: Retired

    From: London

    How is your experience as a grandmother different than your experience as a mother?

    "You don't enjoy it when your daughter is pregnant, until the baby is safely delivered. When it's not your own child, there's a lot more responsibility. You don't worry when it's your own child."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Okome Mary

    Okome_mary

    Age: 52

    Job: French teacher

    Number and ages of children: Four children, ages 32, 23, 11 and 4

    What is the hardest thing about being a mother?

    "You sometimes have to do everything for your husband, for your children. But as boys, I don't have problems exactly with them ... I speak, they know Mama is speaking. They respect me too much. When I say, 'I don't want that,' they listen to me."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Jeannine

    Jeannine

    Job: Retired teacher

    Number and ages of children: Five children, ages 48, 46, 43 and 40.

    What's your favorite part of being a mother?

    "All the love that goes around. That's my favorite part."

    And what's something no one ever told you about being a mother?

    "How long you were going to be a mom. Forever!"

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Roseann

    Moms_100_mothersday-32

    Age: 42

    Job: Stay-at-home mom

    Number and ages of children: Two children, ages 9 and 3

    What's been one of your scariest moments as a mom?

    "James was three months early, so that was definitely the scariest. He was in the NICU [neonatal intensive care unit] for a few months ... He looked like a lizard. He was under two pounds. Now he's a giant."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Alice

    Moms_100_mothersday-29

    Age: 45

    Job: Urban planner

    Number and ages of children: Three children, ages 15, 8 and 7

    What's been the scariest moment of motherhood?

    [To son] "When you swallowed rat poison. There's been numerous occasions at the hospital, but that one was the unknown."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Renee

    Moms_100_mothersday-59

    Age: 71

    What was your proudest moment of motherhood?

    "Watching my two grandsons, and seeing all the things I taught my son be passed down to them."

    And your scariest?

    "He went on his own after college on a trip. He didn't come home on time because he missed his flight."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, BIANCA CONSUNJI

  • Erica

    Moms_100_mothersday-31

    Age: 42

    Job: Casting director

    Number and ages of children: One child, 2.5 years old

    What's the greatest part of being a mom?

    “This community that sort of forms when you become a parent. You have all these people and you develop these relationships with people in your life that you didn’t really know existed. It’s a different kind of a friendship.”

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Marisol

    Marisol

    Age: 44

    Job: Stay-at-home mom

    Number and ages of children: Four children, 16, 13, 11 and 5.

    How do you measure your success as a mother?

    "I try my best. I want do to the best for my kids."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Cheryl

    Cheryl

    Job: Ad Sales

    Number and ages of children: One child, 19 months old

    What's the biggest challenge you're facing as a mother today?

    "She has pink eye right now, so I'm telling everyone not to get close. This is my first pink eye experience. So like, do I have it? Do I not touch my eyes? Am I going to get it if I do touch my eyes? Very exciting."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Eva

    Eva

    Age: 67

    Number and ages of children: Three children between the ages of 46 and 40

    What's your favorite part of being a mother?

    "Giving and sharing."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Kelly

    Moms_100_mothersday-91

    Job: Stay-at-home mom

    Age: 37

    Number of children: One child, age 5, expecting one more

    What has been the grossest thing that happened to you as a mother?

    "Now it's okay -- just in the beginning when you first get used to changing diapers. It's like a surprise every time you open it up."

    What has been your greatest moment as a mother?

    "Just seeing them grow up -- how they develop, especially now that he's talking, it's so fun."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Janet

    Moms_100_mothersday-54

    Age: 56

    Number and age of children: One child, 22

    What was your greatest moment of motherhood so far?

    "When she came home and surprised me for Mother's Day last year."

    What's your favorite pastime with your child?

    "Pedicures at Pinkies"

    "I feel for her. When you're an only child, you get undivided attention. It works great at two -- not at 17."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, BIANCA CONSUNJI

  • Maria

    Maria

    Age: 41

    Job: Babysitter

    Number and ages of children: Two children, ages 18 and 11

    "I take care of them with all love, and I want to be a good professional. That's why I want to see all my kids when they grow and they finish school, they graduate from high school and college so they get their own nice work and they do better than I do."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Josefina "Fitita"

    Josefina_aka_fitita

    Age: 68

    Job: Former Montessori school teacher

    Number and ages of children: 4 children, ages 48, 46, 38 and 36

    From: Colombia

    What is one of the greatest moments of motherhood?

    "The first child. It's like el milagro ... a miracle to see the baby outside your tummy and alive and moving."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Heidi

    Moms_100_mothersday-33

    Age: 46

    Job: Teacher

    Number and ages of children: One child, 9 years old

    How do you measure your success as a mom?

    "When other people tell you have a good kid, that’s when you know you’re really doing a good job. They’ll say, ‘Oh Sophia, she’s so sweet, she’s so nice.’ … Then, of course, they’re not around for times when they’re having a meltdown.”

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Rebecca

    Moms_100_mothersday-55

    Age: 65

    Number of children: 6

    What was your scariest moment as a mom?

    "If it weren't for Canadian Health Care, we would be short a few children."

    What's the best part about being a mom?

    "Having six kids and the way they interact with each other."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, BIANCA CONSUNJI

  • Chandrika

    Moms_100_mothersday-88

    Job: IT at Credit Suisse

    Age: 33

    Number of children: Two children (5 months, 4 years)

    What's something no one told you about being a mother?

    "How gross you'd feel for the first four years, and how gross kids are. They're disgusting -- they'll eat anything off of the floor."

    What's the scariest thing that's happened to you as a mother?

    "When my child is sick and I'm helpless. My older one -- if he gets a fever, he's prone to febrile seizures. That is a mother's worst fear -- that something horrible could happen to your child."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Sharon

    Sharon

    Age: 67

    Job: Retired paralegal

    Number and ages of children: Two children, 42 and 39

    What's something no one ever told you about being a mother?

    "No one ever told me anything about being a mom, especially the different personalities the children might have and how to deal with that ... You think you raise your children the same, but they turn out different and have different attitudes and different ways of dealing with life."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Allison

    Moms_100_mothersday-46

    Job: Business owner

    Age: 42

    Number and ages of children: Three children (9, 9, 6)

    What's the grossest thing that's happened to you as a mother?

    "I guess when my daughter projectile vomited on me in the Museum of Natural History in front of a giant crowd. It hit a few people."

    How do you measure your success as a mother?

    "By their smiles and by their eyes -- their confidence in themselves."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Anaick

    Moms_100_mothersday-61

    From: France

    Number and age of children: Three children, 32, 29 and 25

    What's your favorite part about being a mom?

    "We're both divorced, and have children from our previous marriages. One year ago when we organized a party with both of our children."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, BIANCA CONSUNJI

  • Denise

    Moms_100_mothersday-63

    Number and age of children: One child, 3 years old

    What's motherhood like?

    "It's great. Before having her, it was like something was missing."

    What's your favorite part of being a stay-at-home mom?

    "Getting to see everything she does."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, BIANCA CONSUNJI

  • Rosetta Brunie

    Rosetta_brunie

    Number and ages of children: Five children between the ages of 48 and 52

    What is something no one ever told you about being a mother?

    "To be a mother, you must respect yourself, must have fear for the Lord, teach your children to be the gospel of the Lord and teach them to be right in this world."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Dorota

    Dorota

    Age: 35

    Job: Stay-at-home mom

    Number and ages of children: One child, 6 months

    What's one of the greatest parts of being a mother?

    "I'm just starting to feed him and I give him whole foods. I don't mash things for him -- he eats a carrot, he tries to eat the whole carrot, he can feel the texture. And I'm actually proud of that. I did it my way, and we're having a lot of fun with that."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Liat

    Liat_and_dana

    From: Israel

    Number and ages of children: One, age 15

    "We come from two different times. She prefers shopping. I prefer museums."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Isabelle

    Moms_100_mothersday-40

    Job: Pharmaceutical Industry

    From: Spain

    What's different about raising your children in Spain, now that you're in New York?

    "The culture is very different in Spain. We raised the kids in the street, you know? We are from a small village. It's a calmer life, it's quieter. Here, you have to always look out."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Katherine

    Moms_100_mothersday-45

    Job: Architect

    Age: 38

    Number and ages of children: One child (1 month)

    What's been your greatest moment as a mother?

    "Seeing the first smile. Just the acknowledgment that she knew who I was."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Mona

    Mona

    Age: 36

    Job:: UX designer

    Number and ages of children: Two children, ages 1 and 4

    What have you learned about being a mom from your own mother?

    "She's a very different mom than I am, but I try to be more like her. I infuse her style into my life. As a mom, you're giving all the time. And that's the greatest gift."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Sheila

    Moms_100_mothersday-47

    Job: Retired

    Age: 60

    Number of children: Two children, three grandchildren

    What has been your greatest moment as a mother?

    "This is emotional, you do know that? Seeing my grandchildren be born and my daughter being married. I can't put it into words -- it was just very special."

    How do you measure your success as a mother?

    "We moved to Virginia from Massachusetts a year ago to be able to spend time with our grandchildren -- having our daughter and son-in-law say it was the best thing we could have done and always wanting to be with us every weekend."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Rachel

    Rachel

    Age: 52

    Job: Physical therapist

    Number and ages of children: Three children, ages 18, 15 and 13

    What's something no one ever told you about being a mother?

    "It's the most beautiful magic in the world. Beyond words. I have a beautiful mother, and I just follow her. I just want to be as good as my mom is."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Bia

    Moms_100_mothersday-37

    Age: 32

    Job: Marketing manager

    Number and ages of children: One child, 6 months

    What's the greatest part of being a mother?

    "As cliche as this sounds, there's nothing more heartwarming than your child looking at you with their eyes wide open and just the biggest smile on their face, and for that split second you think to yourself, 'My God, they comprehend, they know. She knows I'm her mom.' When that happens, every time is like the first time."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Angela

    Angela

    Age: 33

    Job: Professional vocalist

    Number and ages of children: One child, age 3

    What is the scariest thing about being a mother?

    "Hoping I don't mess up. I mean, there's no manual."

    What is something no one told you about being a mother?

    "The day-to-day growing to love the baby. Like everybody says, 'Oh, when you first see the baby, you've got to love the baby instantly,' and I did, but I didn't have, like, this warm fuzzy feeling. I actually had to have a blood transfusion when I had him, so I had him and then I passed him to my husband. But the everyday growing, he grows on me, and when I'm away from him, I'm like 'Oh my God, I'm missing my baby.' ... That process, nobody really talks about."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Kumi

    Moms_100_mothersday-38

    Age: 39

    Job: Hairstylist

    Number and ages of children: One child, 11 months

    What's one of the grossest things about motherhood?

    "Now she wants to run away from us when she's getting a diaper change. So, when she poops, she wants to run away and sit down somewhere before she gets cleaned. That's the yuckiest moment."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Kate

    Moms_100_mothersday-27

    Age: 46

    Job: Historian, writer and editor

    Number and ages of children: One child, 5 years old

    What is the greatest part of being a mother?

    "I like seeing her as she’s developing. I feel like she’s very attuned to the world and interested in things, and I see her integrating information, whether it’s emotional or intellectual. It just feels good to see it, because it’s always a work in progress and you never stop being a mother, right? Even, I feel like, as she’s an adult I’ll still have these feelings of watching her and being proud of her."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Virginia

    Moms_100_mothersday-15

    Age: 32

    Job: Part-time freelance personal assistant and stay-at-home mom

    Number and ages of children: One child, 8 months old

    How do you measure your success as a mom?

    "I feel like sometimes if I do something that I remember my mom doing with me and my sisters, and I do it successfully, that’s how I feel like I’ve done a good job."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Catherine

    Catherine

    Age: 51

    Job: Stay-at-home mom

    Number and ages of children: Four children, ages 26, 24, 22 and 19

    What is your favorite part of being a mother?

    "The unconditional love, to a point. Then it's the friendship you end up having as the kids get older."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Leigh

    Leigh

    Job: Restaurant Group employee

    Number of children: One

    What's the funniest thing that happens to you on a daily basis as a mother?

    "Mother's Day is my new favorite holiday. It's great. Just this morning I was telling her, 'You're so funny.' She's been running around all day repeating, 'Fun, fun, fun.' All day. I love that kind of thing."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Mercedes

    Mercedes

    Age: 57

    Job: Administrative assistant

    Number and ages of children: One child, age 27

    What is the greatest thing about being a mother?

    "I think I would feel incomplete if I wasn't a mother. I think it's one of the reasons why God made us, you know, to have children if it was our desire. It makes me feel very complete to be a mother."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Linda

    Moms_100_mothersday-52

    Age: 70

    Job: Director of The Singing Experience Workshop

    Number and ages of children: 2 children, 35 and 38

    What was the worst gift you ever received from one of your children?

    "A kitchen appliance."

    "My kids apologize to me for giving me a hard time, but that's the nature of the job."

    Do your children have children?

    "No, I have grandmother longing."

    "Not a moment goes by where you're not thinking of your children."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, BIANCA CONSUNJI

  • Sonia

    Sonia

    From: New York

    Number of children: Three

    What was the scariest moment you've experienced as a mother?

    Her son: "We've been troublemakers. We tried to be cool and drift my mom's car and it uh… didn't work. That's happened multiple times, actually. Too many times."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Evelyn

    Moms_100_mothersday-48

    Job: Worked in film, theater and music

    Age: 42

    Number and ages of children: Three children (6, 3, 2)

    What's something no one told you about being a mother?

    "Things can happen that are out of your control that can really change, not just your dynamics, but maybe even your destiny."

    What's the greatest moment you've had as a mother?

    "When they're born, I guess. I think that it's naturally probably even the best moment a mother can have."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Valerie

    Moms_100_mothersday-34

    Age: 42

    Job: Stay-at-home mom

    Number and ages of children: Two children, ages 4 and 10 months

    What's been the scariest part of being a mother?

    “When I first had Ella, I was actually diagnosed with post-partum [depression], so that was scary because I had this idea in my mind … Just imagining what motherhood would be like, and then it’s like, 'Oh my god, I don’t know what I’m doing with this baby.' I think it’s like, obviously you can’t control children, so I think the idea that everything will go as planned is just totally wrong. So, that was scary.”

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Susan

    Moms_100_mothersday-69

    Number of children: Two

    What is the most frightening thing about motherhood?

    "The responsibility."

    And the most important?

    "Making sure they have a good education"

    What was the worst gift you received from one of your children?

    "They all seem good looking back."'

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, BIANCA CONSUNJI

  • Catherine

    Moms_100_mothersday-92

    Job: Nurse practitioner

    Age: 34

    Number of children: Two children (1, 6)

    What has been your greatest moment as a mother?

    "I don't know if there's one great moment because every moment is so great. I mean not every moment. It's all the little moments that are actually bigger than one big moment."

    What's the grossest thing that's happened to you as a mother?

    "There are times when your hands are covered in every type of human excrement at once -- anything that can come out of an orifice is all over your hands and you're like, 'This is not my life.' But then you get over it fast and you're like, 'This is my life as a parent.' It's actually all fine when the people whose excrement it is comes from your body. What's a little poop mixed with boogers mixed with pee?"

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Arnould

    Moms_100_mothersday-21

    Job: Occupational therapist

    Number and ages of children: Three children, ages 10, 8 and 6

    How do you define motherhood?

    "A lot of love for my children. You give, but you receive much more, more and more."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Nicole

    Moms_100_mothersday-35

    Age: 32

    Job: Commercial clerk

    Number and ages of children: Two children, ages 2 and 4

    How do you measure your success as a parent?

    "If they have power and joy to play, and they don't just sit in a corner, but move and experience new things."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Robin

    Robin

    Age: 64

    Number and ages of children: Two children, ages 36 and 32

    What is the greatest thing about being a mother?

    "My daughter is a mother now, and she is just the best mother I've ever seen. She's better than I was."

    How is being a grandmother different from being a mother?

    "When you're a grandmother, it's like a miracle. When your own kids come, you're so busy and so in it that you don't realize maybe as fully the miracle of having children. But when you see your grandchild, I find myself staring at my granddaughter and everything she does, and just being so aware of how she's developing every day."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Hazel

    Moms_100_mothersday-62

    From: England

    How many children do you have?

    "One. That's enough."

    What's the best part about being a grandmother?

    "You can give them back."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, BIANCA CONSUNJI

  • Elizabeth

    Moms_100_mothersday-84

    Job: Studying for master's degree in social work at NYU

    Age: 32

    Number of children: One child (18 months)

    What's one thing no one told you about being a mother?

    "That it's okay to not love it. It's okay to mourn the fact that your life has changed and that you're giving up certain things, like being able to go to dinner whenever you want or sleep until 10."

    What's the grossest thing that's happened to you as a mother?

    "When he was first born, my mom and I were changing his diaper. He farted and then looked up and projectile pooped. I still die when I think about it. It just went all over the wall and he's just giggling. And it's just everywhere."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Doris

    Moms_100_mothersday-87

    Age: 61

    Job: Retired

    Number of children: Three children (30, 31, 32)

    What's the best or worst gift your kids have given you?

    "My kids are older and everything is beautiful. I think about years ago, and without kids it's not good."

    What's been your greatest moment as a mother?

    "When they go with their own family. I think I do everything right -- it's all okay. They have the family, and all the years I think about what is wrong, but when I see this for me it's all right."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Sarah

    Moms_100_mothersday-36

    Age: 31

    Job: Mother, part-time bookkeeper

    Number and ages of children: Three children, ages 5, 4 and 18 months

    What's one of the scariest moments of motherhood?

    "Just after I had her, I had a major hemorrhage in hospital, so that was really scary. That was thescariest moment. But little stuff scares you as well, like crossing roads with them, when they start kinde that people won't look after them as well as you do. What they say is true: Your heart starts walking around outside of your body, and the more kids you have, the more chances you take."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Sabine

    Sabne

    From: Germany

    Number of children: Two

    What's your happiest memory as a mother?

    "This is our first vacation together as a family in 10 years. I'm very happy today. They keep me young."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Victoria

    Victoria

    From: Ukraine

    Number and ages of children: One child, 1 year old

    What is one thing you hope for your child when they grow up?

    "It's happiness -- we are hoping for a better future for him always."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, WILL FENSTERMAKER

  • Frances

    Moms_100_mothersday-56

    Number and age of children: One child, 29 years old

    "He's happy, so we're happy."

    What's the scariest part of motherhood?

    "Him being away and not knowing what he's doing."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, BIANCA CONSUNJI

  • Jen

    Moms_100_mothersday-70

    Age: 32

    Number of children: One child

    What is the best part about being a mom so far?

    "Watching him recognize me."

    "He had white pants on earlier -- he pooped on them."

    What was the grossest thing that has come with motherhood?

    "One night he puked and it went right down my shirt."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, BIANCA CONSUNJI

  • Mercia

    Moms_100_mothersday-51

    Job: Baby nurse

    Age: 50

    Number and ages of children: Five children (23, 29, 30, 31, 32)

    What's something no one told you about being a mother?

    "Nobody's prepared. As much as you read and talk, no one is prepared. When it happens, it happens and you just have a motherly instinct. Every child is different, every mother is different."

    What's the grossest thing that's happened to you as a mother?

    "I have four sons -- bringing home girls that I don't like. Every child you sort of have a vision of who you'd like them to be with."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Sigal

    Moms_100_mothersday-90

    Job: Art therapist

    Age: 48

    Number of children: Three children (11, 18, 19)

    What's something no one told you about being a mother?

    "It's something very absolute -- without break. It's the good and the bad."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Amelia

    Moms_100_mothersday-39

    Age: 39

    Job: Engineer

    Number of children: Two children

    What's one of the scariest aspects of parenting?

    "That they don't feel happy or maybe they don't grow up in the right way, you know?"

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, CHRISTINA ASCANI

  • Ruth & Petra

    Moms_100_mothersday-65

    Age: 100 and 56, respectively

    How do you feel about Mother's Day?

    Ruth: "I don't have much use for it."

    How did you feel when your child fell in love?

    Ruth: "I can't tell you. It was hidden from me!"

    What was your scariest moment as a mom?

    Petra: "When my daughter didn't come home overnight. She was 17. That was her first and only night out."

    How did you feel when your child fell in love?

    Petra: "I wasn't very happy -- that was the day she disappeared."

    IMAGE: MASHABLE, BIANCA CONSUNJI




No comments:

 

© 2012 Học Để ThiBlog tài liệu